Patient Advice and Liaison Service PALS
We are here to listen
We care about all our patients – and their families. We want to know what you think of our services.
Our PALS service will listen to your views.
PALS stands for ‘Patient Advice and Liaison Service’. That means we give patients advice and listen to them, and help patients give their views to the services that look after them. We can also provide information to patients and their families.
You can contact us by telephone, letter or in person.
However you communicate with us, we will reply as soon as possible
How do I say ‘well done’ or thank you’?
Please tell us when we get it right!
Tell the people looking after you - or contact the PALS team.
We are always delighted to receive thank you notes, or comments and letters from patients and carers.
How do I ask a question about my care?
Sometimes you might have a question or worry about your care.
It might be about care that has already happened, or it might be about how you can look after yourself better in the future.
We can help by giving you answers or information.
We can help by dealing with your concerns quickly. We can talk about possible solutions to problems and offer advice. We can talk to staff on your behalf in order to help.
How do I raise a concern?
Sometimes we don’t get things right.
If you are unhappy with the service you have received, it is important to let us know so that we can improve.
If you are unhappy, please talk to any member of staff who is looking after you. You can also ask for the service manager, and speak to them directly. If you raise an issue directly with a member of staff, they may be able to sort it out immediately.
However, if you are worried about doing this, or if you want to do this when you are back at home, you can contact the PALS service.
If you are unhappy with your diagnosis or treatment, you also have the right to ask for a second opinion with a different member of staff.
How do I complain?
You can make a complaint by telephone, letter, email or face to face. We will send a letter to acknowledge your complaint within three working days.
We will then investigate your complaint. We will try to respond within 25 working days where this is possible. Some issues may take longer to investigate. If that is the case, we will write to you to explain the delay as soon as possible. When we have investigated, you will receive a letter explaining the findings of our investigation. You can also meet with a manager at any time, if you feel this would help.
Please note that headquarters is not open to the public, but members of the PALS and Complaints team are available to meet with people in our community hospitals and clinics by appointment, or during our PALS surgeries which are run regularly throughout our hospitals and mental health wards, details of which can be obtained from the services.
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman - Who they are and what they do (BSL)
A short film by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to explain who they are and what work they do. There is also a video which uses BSL to give you tips on making a complaint to the NHS in England, including where to get advice and support.
- PALS leaflet 'How do I?' – this patient leaflet explains the PALS service and should be on display in public areas. You can download the leaflet in different languages and as an easy read version below.
- Complaints leaflet 'Making a complaint' – this patient leaflet explains the NHS complaints process and should be on display in public areas. You can download the leaflet in English and as an easy read version below.
- PALS and Complaints Policy – this is our Trust policy. You can download the policy 'Complaints, Concerns and Compliments' from our webpage 'Policies and Procedures' under 'Corporate'.
PALS leaflet - How do I?
- PALS How do I.pdf Download
- PALS How do I - Easy read.pdf Download
- PALS - How do I - Arabic February 2017.pdf Download
- PALS How Do I Chinese Mandarin Aug 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How Do I Lithuanian Aug 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How Do I Polish Aug 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How Do I Portuguese Aug 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How do I - Romanian - April 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How do I - Easy Read - Romanian April 2015.pdf Download
- PALS How Do I Russian Aug 2015.pdf Download
Making a complaint leaflet
- Making a complaint.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Easy read.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Chinese Mandarin Aug 2015.pdf Download
- Making a compliant - Lithuanian Aug 2015.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Polish Aug 2015.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Portuguese Aug 2015.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Romanian - April 2015doc.pdf Download
- Making a complaint - Easy Read - Romanian April 2015doc.pdf Download
- Making a complaints - Russian Aug 2015.pdf Download
- Learning from Complaints