Patients in Somerset are being reminded that they don't need A&E if they have a minor illness or injury. Instead they can visit one of the county’s Minor Injuries Units (MIU).
Last week, we polled our social media users to find out how much they knew about the service.
We asked five questions including how many minor injury units are in Somerset, if they can treat minor broken bones and if you need an appointment or not.
25% of those taking the poll on our Facebook page said that they didn’t think minor injury units can treat minor broken bones.
But 94% knew that you don’t need an appointment to be seen at an MIU.
You can find the questions and answers on Facebook.
Mike Paynter, lead nurse consultant for the MIU service, said: “We really would urge people with non-emergencies to visit their local minor injury unit and avoid going to the accident and emergency department.
“Our units are well equipped with everything we need to treat people with illness and injuries such as broken bones, wounds and or burns, animal bites, sprains and strains.
“Last year we saw just under 100,000 patients, of 96% were successfully treated by us and did not need to be referred anywhere else.”
“If it’s not an emergency and you’re still unsure, the best thing to do is to call 111 who can offer advice on the best place to go to for treatment.”
Mike added: “We’d like to remind people to request their repeat prescriptions in advance of the holiday; MIUs cannot supply repeat prescriptions. Make sure you have supplies of cold and flu remedies at home.”
Key facts about Somerset’s MIUs:
- There are seven minor injury units across the county at community hospitals in Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Chard, Frome, Minehead, Shepton Mallet and West Mendip Community Hospital, which are run by Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Open seven days a week, 365 days of the year, minor injury units are often best placed to help patients in their time of need
- The service is sit and wait, with no appointments needed, and waiting times are usually much shorter than in a busy emergency unit department.
- All of Somerset Partnership’s community hospitals also offer free parking
- All of Somerset’s minor injury units will be open as normal over the Christmas and New Year period
- You can find all of the opening hours and locations here.