Working with your School
SHARE will provide access to Project and Liaison Workers for schools who will work closely with you to carry out an initial mental health and wellbeing audit in conjunction with the Public Health for Somerset Children and Young people's Somerset Wellbeing Framework which is being launched across all Somerset schools in July 2018.
The Project and Liaison Workers have all trained in Mindful Emotion Coaching and are able to work with schools developing an understanding of where this approach can be merged into their Action Plan. Mindful Emotion Coaching is all about cascading information about the neuroscience of human brain development and emotion regulation as well as developing empathy skills for staff, parents, children and young people. Somerset Public Health first commissioned this approach in 2015 and the training powerpoints and resources are free and available for all schools in Somerset through EHCAP Ltd.
What we offer:
- Individualised support packages for each school
- An opportunity to work collaboratively on a Whole School Approach to Mental Health
- Mindful Emotion Coaching training for all staff where required
- Promoting parent forums, drop-ins and information sessions
- Enabling student participation groups
- Delivery of assemblies, groups & workshops around Mental Health topics
- Development of a Wellbeing Committee/Wellbeing Champion Programme
- Resources and tools to support mental health
- Development of Mental Health display boards within school
- Free e learning portal - an Introduction to Mindful Emotion Coaching
- Facilitating access to specialist services and effective signposting.
- Person Centred Approach to both staff and pupil wellbeing
- Improved Adult Skills and Knowledge (mental health awareness, child and adolescent brain development, mindful emotion coaching)
- Promoting Positive Mental Health (peer education, mental health champions, participation)
- Reducing the stigma surrounding mental health
- A better understanding of emotions, feelings and behaviours for staff, parents and young poeple.
- Barriers to learning reduced and improved outcomes for young people
- Promoting relationships between staff, parents and young people
- Creating a healthier and more resilient environment
What is Mindful Emotion Coaching?
Mindful Emotion Coaching is about building emotional resilience and mental wellbeing by enabling conversations about emotions behind behaviours and building understanding of the neuroscience of brain development, human interactions and mindful awareness.
To link to relevant You Tube Clips and Resources join our interactive website.
Emotion Coaching is based on Dr. John Gottman’s research on emotional intelligence. Dr. John Gottman studied families for over twenty years to learn which kids were developing successfully and which were not. He measured how well the children performed in school, observed how well they related to their peers, and interviewed them to see how appropriately they behaved socially and how they related to their parents. His team kept finding the same results: children who were Emotion Coached were more successful as adults on measures like peer friendships, gainful employment, and academic performance than were children parented in other ways. Emotion Coaching means helping kids understand their emotions by recognizing what they are feeling and why. Dr. John Gottman named these skills Emotion Coaching and they are fundamental in creating respectful, emotionally healthy, successful children and adults.
We work collaboratively with Tuning in to Kids - a team based in The Mindful Institute, Melbourne, Australia who have developed an evidence based Parenting Programme also based on research by John Gottman and Dan Siegel. The programme is currently being cascaded into Early Help in Somerset - over 100 Parent Support Advisors and Family Support Workers in Somerset are now trained to run either Tuning in to Kids or Tuning in to Teens Parent Support Groups.