How to look after your teeth
To ensure your teeth remain healthy or to prevent further disease, follow this simple advice.
- Keep sugary foods and drinks to mealtimes (no sugar between meals)
- The only safe drinks between meals are water and milk
- Only eat Safe Snacks in-between meals
- Brush your teeth carefully twice a day with a toothpaste containing at least 1350ppm of fluoride
- After brushing, just spit out. Don’t rinse. That way the fluoride stays in your mouth to help fight decay for longer
- Visit your dentist and hygienist regularly
Somerset and Dorset
We provide an Oral health promotion service which targets specific groups with known high risk of dental disease, providing topical fluoride application, dental health advice, education and instruction for carers and staff, and toothbrushes and toothpaste for certain special needs childrens’ centres.
For further information and help with training please contact the Oral Health Promotion office on 01278 773180 or OHPOffice@sompar.nhs.uk.
ZING Somerset - Healthy Eating
The Oral Health Promotion Team is commissioned to deliver “Provision of an All-Age Oral Health Improvement Service in Somerset for Children and Young People and Adults at increased risk of poor oral health”. One way we can tackle this is by reducing the frequency of sugars in the diet.