Equality & Diversity
Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust welcomes all staff, patients and their families. We are committed to celebrating and understanding diversity and making our services accessible and easy for everyone to use.
Protected characteristic groups
In line with the Equality Act 2010, we recognise that people from any of the following groups (and more) may be affected by discrimination and we are committed to challenging discrimination and making our services welcoming and friendly to all:
- Gender reassignment (the transgender community)
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion and belief
- Sex (gender e.g. male or female)
- Sexual orientation (heterosexual, gay, etc)
- All Trust staff are required to complete Equality and Diversity e-learning.
- The Trust Equality and Diversity Lead can run diversity training sessions for teams and individuals as needed. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Equality Delivery System
The Equality Delivery System is a system that the NHS uses to ensure that everyone can access health treatment and no one suffers from discrimination. The EDS not only covers people from Protected Characteristics Groups but also other people who may suffer stigma, such as homeless people.
You can find more information about the Equality Delivery System at NHS England.
The Trust reports annual on what it is doing to meet its obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and Public Sector Equality Duty.
- Somerset Partnership Equality Delivery System report 2015-16
- Somerset Partnership Equality Delivery System 2 Self Assessment 2016-17
Somerset Partnership’s Equality Objectives for 2016-2020 are
- We will deliver quality services that are right for patients, carers and families from all communities.
- We will treat everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of age, sex, race, disability, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and parenthood, religion and belief, sexual orientation or gender reassignment.
- We will create a welcoming and safe environment for everyone and challenge any discrimination, in our services or in our workforce.
Our Equality Publications
- Equality Delivery System EDS Self-Assessment and Annual Report 2016/17
- Our Trust Equality Objectives for 2015-16
- Our Equality and Diversity Report 2014
- Our Equality and Diversity Policy can be found on the Policies and Procedures page under 'Corporate'
Workforce Race Equality Standard
As part of the NHS action to ensure employees from black and ethnic minority (BME) backgrounds have equal access to career opportunities and receive fair treatment in the workplace, each Trust is required to complete and publish its progress against the new Workforce Race Equality Standard.
The move follows recent reports which have highlighted disparities in the number of BME people in senior leadership positions across the NHS, as well as lower levels of wellbeing amongst the BME population.
At Somerset Partnership we have set out our plans and published our Workforce Race Equality Standard progress here:
- Workforce Race Equality Standard 2016 - 17
- Workforce Race Equality Standard 2015 - 16
- Our Partnership
Gender Pay Gap
This report provides the Trust’s first Gender Pay Gap (GPG) information based on data for the period including the first snapshot date of 31 March 2017.
It is published in line with the requirements set out in the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties and Public Authorities) Regulations 2017.
For more information about Equality and Diversity, please contact:
Head of Communications
Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
2nd Floor, Mallard Court
Express Park, Bristol Road
Bridgwater TA6 4RN
Tel: 01278 432 036